I didn't want to go to the hospital until contractions were 3-5 minutes apart. Ben had a notebook handy to write down the time and how far apart they were. I didn't feel hungry but I ate as much as I possibly could since I knew I wouldn't get much at the hospital. All day long contractions hit about every 20 minutes. Then finally around 4:00 I called my doctor and told him they'd been every 8-10 minutes for the past 2 hours. Since the weather was getting bad and we were half an hour from the hospital he said to head in. Ben said a prayer for us to get there safely and for everything to go well. What an amazing calm feeling that brought to me and also him. We double checked our bags and off we went! For so long I had feared this day and the whole process, but surprisingly enough I was totally calm and not nervous at all.
The roads would have been horrible if we hadn't left when we did, it was snowing pretty hard. We got to the hospital at 5:00, they checked us in and we got settled into our room. I was only dilated to a 3 when we got there and a nurse said I could stay if I progressed within an hour. We did not want to get sent home, so we walked around the halls. We'd stop at the windows on each end of the lap and looked out at the falling snow under the street lights. Was this really happening? It was so surreal to actually be there, knowing we'd hopefully soon be able to meet our little guy.
An hour passed and the nurse checked me again, I had not progessed at all. She left the room for a minute, then came back and said she called my doctor and he said to keep me there since the weather was getting worse. What a relief! We didn't want to drive all the way home in the snow. Around 9:00 pm they decided to break my water, I had dilated to a 4 and just kept waiting for more progress. At 10:00 I told them I wanted the epideral, I was scared to death to get that thing, but it was not a big deal at all! I even had the Anesthesiologist show me the needle, for some reason it made me feel better to see what was actually going into my back.
Ben got comfy on the rock solid couch and quickly zonked out. The nurse came in every hour throughout the night to check me, I continued to progress and at 5:30 am I was completely dilated. They have you wait an hour before pushing, that was torture! I was ready to get the party started! At 6:30 I was finally able to start pushing, Dr. Firth walked in the door around 7:00. I love my doctor, he is absolutely amazing! He came to the hospital just to see how I was doing before they even called him. I hope he will be able to deliver all of our kids.
He was here! 8 pounds 11 ounces of pure chubby cuteness! We were in love, Ben squeezed my hand tightly right when he was born. Bens aunt, who is a nurse, told me a while back that all men that come into the delivery room act all rough and tough but then when their child is born they turn into absolute mush. Ha ha that is so true! He was such a great support to me while in labor, he stayed right there by my side. It was such a relief to see our son and know that he was healthy with ten toes and fingers!
Jordan Ray Cox
7:24 am
8 lbs 11 oz
20.5 inches
Jordan would not wake up enough to eat, it was starting to concern our nurse so she took him to check his sugar levels and sure enough they were super low, that's why he was so sleepy. Later that day the nurse said if it didn't go up soon they would have to take him to the NICU. A couple hours later they took him cause it wasn't getting better, they hooked him up to an IV to get some sugar in him. We went down every 2 hours so I could try get him to nurse. He did pretty well but was so sleepy it was hard to get him to eat enough. Ben was such a trooper to wake up with me every 2 hours during the night to go feed Jordan. It was so hard to have to leave him there, I just wanted to cuddle with him all day long. It was kind of frustrating to have him in the NICU because the nurses that were taking care of him said he didn't even need to be in there, that if we took him home his levels would go up anyway. But we couldn't take him home till everything was back to normal. I am thankful though for the technology and capability of modern day hospitals, even if it was a small problem it was comforting to know he was being taken care of. Saturday afternoon Jordans levels were great so Dr. Firth sent us home! Wahoo!! As a family of 3 we went home with our new little bundle of joy! Now what?!







No comments:
Post a Comment